Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Mission: San Diego.

I discovered The Mission a few summers back when the owners of the Mission Bay beach house rental my family and I stayed in recommended it as their preferred place for breakfast at the beach.

Although it's nestled unassumingly on Mission Bay Boulevard, the Saturday morning line out the door is hard to miss. We had to wait half an hour or so, but it was well worth it.
As you can see, it's a hip little place. It makes you feel hip, too--like a local who lives at the beach and saunters down the boardwalk in flip flops every Saturday morning for some grub.

Eating at The Mission still makes me feel hipper than I am, actually, even though I'm now a San Diegan. I guess a San Diegan who lives at the beach and eats at The Mission is hipper in my mind than just a plain ol' San Diegan.
Mission Chilaquiles, corn chips layered with eggs, (black beans were put on the side), cheese, and roasted tomato ginger sauce.
Crispy Apple Sausage & Eggs (with a side of crispy rosemary potatoes)

Thus, I will go back to The Mission, and often. I think (and talk) about their crispy rosemary potatoes all the time. In fact, I think Jim got a little tired of my going on and on and on, over and over and over about their crispy rosemary potatoes, so he finally let me drag him there a while back.

We'll go again, too, when my near-whining for those potatoes gets especially annoying. :D

If savory isn't your thing when it comes to breakfast, don't you worry. The Mission also serves delectable, (and enormous), banana blackberry, strawberry granola, strawberry banana, and blueberry cornmeal pancakes. Not to mention their french toast made from their fresh-baked cinnamon bread. To die for.

They also serve lighter meals for those of you concerned about donning a bathing suit later in the day, and they serve a whole slew of yummy latino plates for people like my brother-in-law who love hot sauce and cheese. Think sweet corn tamales and roasted tomatillo sauce, chilaquiles with black beans and chipotle cream, tortillas filled with eggs, tomato, and cheese and smothered with roasted chile verde sauce.

You really need to go to The Mission. You'll love the laid back vibe, the simply delicious food, and the way you feel ten times cooler just walking in.

Trust me.

It's a must-do.

P.S. The Mission serves lunch, too. I'm dying to try it.
P.P.S. The Mission has two other locations, (here and here), if the beach isn't your thang. Same amazing menu. Just not as many people in wetsuits and sundresses.
P.P.P.S. Christa and I know we've been slacking when it comes to this blog. Forgive us. It isn't that we've stopped eating. In fact, we have a ton of restaurants we want to tell you about. We just got busy being busy. You know how that goes. We'll get caught up, though, and we hope you'll stop in from time to time.

Happy Eating!

1 comment:

Jacque said...

my mouth is watering thinking about their rosemary potatoes... oh, sooo good! i need a trip to the beach soon!